Monday, July 28, 2008

Nobody Dresses Up

I don't know if it's just me, but I have this thing about not dressing to impress. Or pretentiousness. On Tybee, the everyday dress code is simple, and casual.
And sometimes it's stained and old, but covering what we need to cover.

I've lived in places that celebrate function over fashion, such as Edmonds, WA. Those of us who lived in Edmonds, used to look at people in Bellevue, WA and think, "You poor souls who need to dress up to go to the mall." It's sort of like that on Tybee. We look at the people on Hilton Head, and say, "Thank God we are not a GOLF or fashion destination!"

So, if you come to Tybee and wear a starched button down shirt and any shoes but flip flops...you'll be outing yourself as a new visitor to the Island. Here, both heeled and poor alike wear old shirts, old shorts, old beach cover ups. And sandals. We just don't dress to impress.

If you are reading this post, and you're one of the people who have scheduled me to speak at some event...like the Woman's Forum at Georgia Southern ...http://ceps.georgiasouthern.edu/conted/womensforumcontact.html don't worry, I'll dress up. It's OFF ISLAND - and I can look professional...OFF ISLAND.

No comments: