Thursday, August 14, 2008

Morning Beauty on the Beach

If one picture is worth a thousand blogs, then click on this link... http://www.oceanplaza.com/ and you'll see what I'm looking at this AM. The beach in front of this hotel looks almost exactly as it does in the picture. This is my view from the Pavilion on the Pier, where I'm sitting, alone at 7:58 this morning.

It's August 14th, and we're having unusually cool weather, it was in the 60's the morning and is in the low 70's now. There were 10 people walking along the mile of beach and 3 people swimming in the water. The East Coast Ocean is warm, in case you didn't know, as I didn't until I moved here. It's not at all like the Pacific Ocean, where you have to wear a wet suit to surf even in August. So, it's not unusual to see a few people swimming early or late at night.

There are swings along the beach. Not metal swings but Solid Wooden Garden type swings that seat two. There are several of them planted ...parallel to the surf, but far enough away from high tide, to be almost hidden in the dunes. The swings provide sweet solice to walking on the beach. When I sit in those swings, and watch the waves, and the sand and sunrise, I imagine I must be related to King Solomon with all his splendor, and I'm swinging in my private Garden in front of the Ocean.

When my husband and I moved from our last home an hour away, to Tybee Island, my husband was worried about us leaving our expansive acre lot and moving to a lot just over 1/10th of an Acre. "You'll have no yard" he said. The first night in our new house, as we walked on the beach. I said to him, "This is my front yard." And every morning as I greet sunrise, alone on the Pier, I know, the ocean is my front yard. It's bigger than any yard I could ever afford. And is tended by some giant landscape engineer. It's a very personal thing, this enjoyment of morning beauty on the beach.

No comments: